Founded in 1985, the Community Dining Room (CDR) is a private, not-for-profit organization providing food, support and companionship to our shoreline neighbors. We serve the south-central Connecticut shoreline from East Haven to Old Saybrook including the towns of East Haven, Branford, North Branford, Guilford, Madison, Clinton, Westbrook, and Old Saybrook.
The Community Dining Room is committed to serving the community by feeding the hungry and helping with other basic human needs. We strive to promote public awareness of the impact of hunger and isolation in our society. We are dedicated to helping our guests with their practical needs through referrals and fellowship.
THE COMMUNITY DINIING ROOM
- Serves over 4,500 meals each month
- Serves a hot lunch daily in our dining room
- Offers a home-delivery program to Branford and North Branford residents
- Friendly Visitor Program
- Provides an evening family dinner
- Hosts special holiday dinners at Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Offers community service opportunities to youth
- Promotes literacy within the family
- Meets our guests’ emotional, physical and material needs through referrals to social service agencies, medical screenings and crisis counseling
- Provides nutritional support to seniors in an effort to delay entry into nursing homes
- Collaborates with the Connecticut Food Bank, the Greater New Haven Emergency Food Council, End Hunger Connecticut, and the Visiting Nurses Association
Our Executive Director, Judy Barron, acts as a client-advocate, working with community agencies, local welfare offices, business and health care providers to identify available resources.